Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Timeline

Timeline

I'm a bit of a board game nerd and have been ever since I thought they were called "bored" games and desperately wanted Clue Jr. because I knew I could play it by myself.  (Jill was too young to play "bored" games at that point.)  It's rare for me to find a game I really don't like, and I find even the bad ones to be a lot of fun.

My favorite game, however, is a new acquisition called Timeline, which combines my love of games with my love of human achievement.  I first read about it on Amy Karol's blog this fall, and when I received a deck for Christmas, I fell in love.  Roger just got me the diversity pack for my birthday, and while we haven't played it yet, the game's been a big hit around here.  It's a pretty simple premise: you put your cards in order by date.  On the front, you'll find an invention or discovery, illustrated the way it would have appeared at first.  On the back, they list the date.  You place your card down on the spectrum, and then flip it over to see if you've gotten it correct.  Whoever runs out of cards first wins.  It's a lot more challenging than it sounds, and it's such a lot of fun.

If you're looking for a new game to try, I'd highly recommend it.  (Next on my list to try: Pandemic, Burning Wheel.)

4 comments:

  1. I love board games. Sadly, Anthony does not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll just need to start an inter-state board game club!

      Delete
  2. I'd probably buy that based on the cover art, so I'm glad it's a good game too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The cover art really does remind me of you!

      Delete